Wednesday 27 June 2012

Well Of Sympathy: Still Dry

A salesman is campaigning for a change in the law after the end of his finger was bitten off by a dog.
‘Salesman’? Ummm, does that mean..?

Yes. Yes, it does:
Richard Brereton was posting a leaflet through a letterbox
Stop right there! I’ve heard enough! And so, it seems, have most of the commenters…
The 49-year-old needed surgery on his right hand last year and the injury has left him unable to write properly.
Now he wants dog owners to be forced to take more responsibility to protect people from their pets even when they are in their own homes.
And I want people like him to refrain from shoving their unwanted junk mail through my door, heedless of the ‘No circulars!’ sign (perhaps that’s too old-fashioned for them to understand?).
Mr Brereton said: "The police officer who came round said he was embarrassed he could not pursue the case further because of a lack of legislation."
Really? Gosh! It must be a crime-free paradise in Milton, mustn’t it? Or it’s a lot safer option than to get out on the front line and tackle drunks, I suppose…
"It could have been a child delivering a newspaper, and you hear a lot about postmen who end up in hospital because of dogs.
"If there had been a cage on the inside of the letterbox, or an outside letterbox, it wouldn't have happened. Even a 'beware of the dog' sign would have helped."
We’ve been here before. And no, I don’t want to have to put a cage up to receive all your junk mail – I DON’T WANT YOUR JUNK MAIL!
Mr Brereton added: "I have contacted Defra to say I think the law should be changed, particularly with regard to letterboxes.
"It must cost the NHS so much money dealing with attacks like these.
"Something should be done. If you have a dog it should not have access to your letterbox."
And if you have a business, it should not be regarded as a license to shove your unwanted junk mail through the doors of any house you please.

His wife is equally as truculent and clueless:
Mr Brereton's wife Jill, aged 46, who works in a coffee shop, said: "No consideration is given by the law to the people who are just going about their daily job.
"Why should they be punished when they are doing nothing wrong?"
Well, love, since I’m nothing but fair, here’s a little tip* for you for a Christmas present for dear hubby:




Might I suggest he uses it next time he’s shoving his unwanted junk mail in people’s letterboxes? Or better yet, stop doing that in the first place?

*I can say ‘tip’, can’t I? It doesn’t bring back bad memories, I hope?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

'*I can say ‘tip’, can’t I? It doesn’t bring back bad memories, I hope? ' - LOL!

Anonymous said...

I was a paper boy for a while as a schoolboy, never had a problem with dogs, just don't put your hand in the letter box. Can we see the subtle sub text here, 'I am stupid, therefore everybody else has a duty of care to look out for me.'

Did he get his finger hurt, oh dear what a pity how sad never mind.

Bunny

I'mnumbervi said...

"Something must be done"...
Love it :)

Jeff Wood said...

Not the first time this sort of thing has been reported here.

I filled a quiet period once by delivering yellow Pages. The first day, guidance was given on this very point.

You push the directory/catalogue/letter/leaflet most of the way in to the letterbox then, tap it in with the flat of the hand.

Here in Italy, letterboxes are on the outside of the house so the problem does not arise. Slots in doors are unknown.

blueknight said...

The 'new' Dangerous Dogs Act does not work inside the dog's owner property.
You may have seen that there was not enough evidence for the case of the girl who was trampolining too near the neighbour's fence and was bitten by the neighbour's dog.

JuliaM said...

"Can we see the subtle sub text here, 'I am stupid, therefore everybody else has a duty of care to look out for me.'"

And, sadly, it's likely to be heeded.

"Here in Italy, letterboxes are on the outside of the house so the problem does not arise."

I've seen a few people adopt those, but most stick with the good old-fashioned door slot.

"You may have seen that there was not enough evidence for the case of the girl who was trampolining too near the neighbour's fence and was bitten by the neighbour's dog."

I'm still rather puzzled, having seen the photo of the garden & trampoline & fence, how it's supposed to have managed that. Without having a trampoline itself!

Captain Haddock said...

"I'm still rather puzzled, having seen the photo of the garden & trampoline & fence, how it's supposed to have managed that. Without having a trampoline itself!"

Its obvious Julia .. it was a "springer" spaniel .. ;)

Anonymous said...

Foursprung woof technique?

nightlurker said...

My cat collects the mail from our door, she would love some fingers to play with.