Monday 9 July 2012

Expect To See More Cases Like These…

Mum-of-four Nicola Bunney was walking her 11-month-old Labrador cross Dappy on the Town Moor, on Hartlepool’s Headland, when he was first kicked in the back leg and then slashed in the neck by a man who was walking a Yorkshire terrier.
I suspect the disparity in dog size might have something to do with this. Well, either that, or the Yorkie owner is psychotic…
Nicola, 38, said that when the attack happened she was running towards them and from 150ft she heard Dappy make a loud yelp, although she did not immediately realise how serious his injury was.
An argument then broke out before Nicola was threatened by the man who said: “If you or your dog come near me again you are going to get worse.”
The owner isn’t admitting that her dog was doing anything but being friendly, but then, she wouldn't, would she?

But I wonder if perhaps the Yorkie owner has read one too many of the almost daily cases of small dogs (or catsattacked and even killed - with little in the way of action from the authorities and no responsibility taken on the part of the owner of the offending dog - that seem to be daily occurrences?

And has maybe decided to take no chances?
Grandmother-of-one Nicola, who works as a receptionist, reported the attack to police and took Dappy to the PDSA animal hospital, in Middlesbrough.
And, ironically, the police will no doubt take an interest, whereas if her dog had savaged the Yorkie, even to death, they’d have simply shrugged.

Who can blame owners of smaller dogs for being a little defensive, these days? Or for deciding that if farmers can take preventive action to stop their livestock being attacked and killed, then perhaps they should do the same?

12 comments:

Lynne said...

The Yorkie owner was carrying an implement capable of slicing flesh and wasn't afraid to get too close to a "dangerous" dog to use it. Paranoid? Psychotic? Probably.

A sharp edged whatever isn't something I routinely pick up when I reach for the leash. If I encounter trouble (fortunately, in my decades of dog ownership, I haven't) a well slung leash clip should act as a good, arm's length deterrent.

Some of the most nasty, bad tempered mutts I've encountered are small dogs. Seems that goes for some of their owners too.

James Higham said...

Think the answer is to have a cat.

Tatty said...

"from 150ft away"

Leads...how hard can this be, really. For their own protection as well as others.

Ranter said...

I thought at first it was that little shit 'Dappy from 'N-Dubz', If only someone would use a sharp implement on him!

Robert the Biker said...

Torn a bit on this issue, but generally with what Lynne said. I've never met a Lab or a Lab cross which was anything but a large floppy object that bounced around the place and would occasionally chase a stick. I think the bloke overreacted in a serious way, but maybe his dogs been attacked before?

Ken and Sheena said...

The man is a psycho. Booting the labradog out of the way would have been harsh enough. Bending over and slashing it is in a different league altogether. Then he threatened to do the same to the owner. What a lovely specimen of humanity. Sigh...

JuliaM said...

"A sharp edged whatever isn't something I routinely pick up when I reach for the leash."

Perhaps if your dog had been savaged (or you'd read of such occurrences) you would?

"Leads...how hard can this be, really. For their own protection as well as others."

Just as some people refuse to neuter their animals, some refuse to use leads.

Such people should not own animals.

" I've never met a Lab or a Lab cross which was anything but a large floppy object..."

And all the Staffies I've ever met have been soft as butter.

But I haven't met ALL the Staffies in the country...

"Booting the labradog out of the way would have been harsh enough. "

You can't expect people (even other dog owners) to be welcoming to your dog. Keep it on a lead.

Robert the Biker said...

"Labradog" LOL - stealing that : )

Ken and Sheena said...

Hi JuliaM. Thanks for the dismissive one liner.

FYI, my Labradog has been savaged by other dogs. Plenty of times. And he is always on a lead. Steel toecaps suffice for defence, and I have never ever felt the need to carry a serrated or edged weapon around with me.

The man in the article carved into a non aggressive dog. From my understanding, It was laying on the ground after he'd booted it. Not dangling off of his own dog, and snarling.

Is that acceptable behaviour in your eyes?

Lynne said...

"A sharp edged whatever isn't something I routinely pick up when I reach for the leash."

"Perhaps if your dog had been savaged (or you'd read of such occurrences) you would?"

Nope. I would, however, take a stout walking stick if we had such a problem in the are where I live. They aren't illegal, they are a good arms length deterrent and I wouldn't find myself in court on a Section 18 if I hit the wrong target.

Anonymous said...

Julia, Labs are utter softies and renowned for that fact. Unless it was a cross with a Rhodesian Ridgeback or something heavy duty.

The Yorkie owner seems from this report to be a dangerous person.

JuliaM said...

"The man in the article carved into a non aggressive dog. From my understanding, It was laying on the ground after he'd booted it."

Since we don't have his account to compare with the Lab-cross owner's, I might have to reserve judgement.

"Julia, Labs are utter softies and renowned for that fact."

Most are, yes. But our local vicar, despite paying a lot of money for a pure-bred bitch, ended up having her destroyed as a youngster because she was unpredictable and dangerous.

And once, on holiday, our dog (a mild-mannered Heinz 57 from Battersea Dogs Home) was savaged by a very, very aggressive chocolate Lab.

There's always exceptions.