Wednesday 19 July 2017

This Article Tells Us A Lot About You...

...and not an awful lot about pressure in the A&E:
When I say that I fleetingly think about the drive home, it’s not because I’m counting down the hours until I finish. I’m thinking more along the lines of, “I am knackered. How am I going to drive home without crashing into a tractor or something?” You start to think about your own mortality. It’s not a baseless fear – 57% of doctors in the position have said they’ve had an accident or near-miss. When I first started working in north Wales I lived around 25 minutes away from the hospital, requiring a run home on the A55. It’s full of fast-moving trucks, and negotiating those after a set of nights is possibly one of my most terrifying experiences. All my car windows were open, whatever the weather, the radio was on loud and I was forcing myself to sing along to every single song. I’d crawl at 40mph to the annoyance of everyone, because I didn’t trust myself to stay awake – and if I did crash then at least speed wouldn’t be a factor in the trauma I might suffer or bring to someone else. I’d pull over, try to cat nap – whatever it took to get home intact. I moved closer because the fear of that drive home was mounting and I guessed it would be only a matter of time before there was an accident. The nightshifts were exhausting and as the A&E registrar in charge of the shop floor, the pressure was relentless. By 8am I was a ghost of myself.
You poor thing! You must be exhausted, and have no time to...

Wait.
I have a dual career – as a doctor and a film-maker/journalist.
You've got time to write columns for 'CiF' and make films for every leftie cause going?
When I am working a late shift within the media I will be entitled to a taxi home. There will be hot food available somewhere in the building and plenty of breakout spaces to grab a rest. The following day, when working a nightshift in A&E, where I’ll be responsible for patients, making life-or-death decisions and possibly not sitting down for 10 hours, I won’t have the same facilities.
Then you know which career suits you best, don't you?
Before training to be a doctor I was an army officer and yet again, facilities existed to ensure comfort after hard work.
You've had a lot of roles in life. Is it because you're eternally dissatisfied with your lot?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make doctors live in barracks then ;-)

Maybe this fool should ask their old steward/messman about how shifts mean that you pretend the shift is your working day and that after your shift you drive home and have dinner then relax and go to bed for your full 8 hours to feel refreshed for the next one. Instead of doing the extra jobs as described - lefty hand wringing tw@t. This attitude is endemic in todays armed forces (services) following 30 years of the pussification of the education system the officer cadre is full of these uni educated PC loons.

Flaxen Saxon said...

I'd get someones to sit next to him in the car (minimum wage) and ask to apply a singeing rod to exposed skin- to make sure he keeps awake. He could even make a film about it: 'The Singeing Doctor'.

Pcar said...

@Anonymous, 19 July 2017 at 11:48
"lefty hand wringing tw@t" +1

"...All my car windows were open, whatever the weather, the radio was on loud and I was forcing myself to sing along to every single song. I’d crawl at 40mph to the annoyance of everyone, because I didn’t trust myself to stay awake..."

I'm sure he is admitting repeatedly breaking the law - driving while impaired

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/miscellaneous-conditions-assessing-fitness-to-drive

"What Does the Law say About Driving While Tired?
There isn't a specific law that states that it is an offence to drive when you are tired, but the chances of a driver committing a driving offence while tired are increased. If you are found to have been asleep when an accident occurred, depending on the severity of the collision and any injuries sustained, you could find yourself charged with dangerous driving, the penalties for which can be severe."
Source: http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/driving-whilst-tired.html

JuliaM said...

"This attitude is endemic in todays armed forces (services) following 30 years of the pussification of the education system the officer cadre is full of these uni educated PC loons."

We're doomed... :(

"...and ask to apply a singeing rod to exposed skin- to make sure he keeps awake."

Heh!

"I'm sure he is admitting repeatedly breaking the law - driving while impaired"

He's a she, so perhaps is relying on the #pussypass?